Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Brought to you by the letter 'E'.

It's funny that so many of my friends have posted about what they are reading, or their book club is discussing, or books in the news.

I too will post on this topic. I'm reading again.

I used to be, while not a voracious reader, at least an active one. Seems something dropped off the map in the last few months, and without fully realizing it I stopped reading altogether.

So now for the first time in over half a year, I've read a book. I read 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel, on loan from Jenn. I highly recommend it.

It's not the best book I ever read, but it did make me think outside myself, and my own limited perspective. (If only for a time.)

Now to balance it out with something fluffy, and then we'll see about something with substance again.

Any suggestions?

-iRob

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body."
-Joseph Addison

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arrrg. Life of Pi.

It's a fine book. And I'm glad many people liked it. But it just didn't deserve the Booker Prize. It's just not that good. Don't get me started on it in person ;)

Why don't you read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card along with us in the FF Club? It won't be the best book you've ever read either, but it might be momentarily perspective changing. :)

Unknown said...

I could certainly do that. Is it fluffy enough for me though? What's it about?

Anonymous said...

While not entirely fluffy, I think if you like SW fiction you'll probably be comfortable with Ender's Game since the setting is kinda space opera-ish like Star Wars and there are some parallels with Jedi training.

It's set in the future where Earth is desperately preparing for another invasion by an alien force, 'The Buggers'. The military machinery is genetically manipulating the population and monitoring very young children for signs that they might be the genius warriors and commanders needed in the war ahead. Normally, couples are only allowed to have 2 children, but after both of his older siblings show such promise, Ender's parents are permitted to have a third - Ender.

This is the story of Ender's education. It has nifty insights into zero-gravity battles. It has chilling insights into power, innocence, psychological manipulation and war.