Saturday, December 16, 2006

Shades of Dexter's Laboratory, Batman!


I've been reading an interesting article on the most dangerous toys of all time.

Number two is pretty cool - It's a home atomic energy set. (For the kiddies!)

It's really interesting to see how our views have changed. Nowadays if a toy can be considered even remotely dangerous it is banned. When I was growing up.. well.. let's just say I'm surprised as many people survived as they did. (Hands up whoever got to play with lawn darts!)

Of course, I grew up with that, and even I was slightly taken back by an electric fan that J's mom used to own. It had 4 inch metal blades, and the flimsiest of guards. (It was similar to this one but more deadly.) What was even more disconcerting was that it had developed an electrical short, and rather than replacing it she was attempting to find somewhere that would fix the death trap. (!)

From my observations it stands to reason that every generations' experience is safer than the one before, and vice-versa. So the grandchildren of our generation will be bouncing around a Styrofoam environment in hermetically sealed bubbles, while I'm pretty sure my great grandparents favorite toys were poison darts and a live wolverine.

-iRob

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."
-Voltaire

No comments: