Friday, April 20, 2007

My hump, my hump my lovely little lumps. (Check it out)


Update.

My Condition is not what I thought it was.

Apparently what I (and assorted other healthcare professionals) misdiagnosed as a cyst, is actually a bone in the wrong place. Specifically, a Scaphoid bone. (I think)

The plastic surgeon that I (finally) got to see after several months of waiting took all of 30 seconds to tell that it was not in fact the inflammation that I thought it was, but rather a bone that was simply more protrusive than was comfortable. He didn't specify what bone, so I'm guessing based on the Wiki pictures I've found. He said that a possible (but drastic) solution would be to open me up and 'grind down' the bone, although that can cause more trouble than it fixes. (shudder!) The alternative is that he can give me an anti-inflammatory injection, which will help with the pain.

He did, and it has. I'm going on several months now, pain free. My mobility is still not great, but I'm guessing that's just something I get to live with. What wasn't covered in the 5 minutes he spent in my presence (more time of which was spent talking to his students than me) was what I do when this wears off. I assume I would go see my family doctor, as I don't know that I'd need to go see him again for that. Also didn't mention the name of the medicine he injected me with. Or possibly he did and I didn't catch it, as it would have been a largely meaningless collection of random phonemes.)

It's amazing what we will allow, when the person who wants to inject you has 'Dr.' in front of their name.

-iRob

"Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance."
-William Shakespeare

No comments: